We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
Home Family Law Grandparents' Rights

Pennsylvania Grandparents' Rights Lawyers

Visitation and Custody Rights of Grandparents

grandpa holding baby Some of the most complicated laws in Pennsylvania determine custody and grandparents' rights. This becomes even more evident when relatives of the child are the ones seeking to remain in contact. Grandparents, in particular, risk losing contact with grandchildren while the parents work through their own custody and visitation issues. The good news is that Pennsylvania has laws that protect grandparents' rights to visit and, in certain cases, gain partial custody of their grandchildren.

Back to Top

Important Criteria to Follow

A family law attorney at the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. can assist you if you want to petition for the right to remain involved in your grandchild's life. We will put together a case for the family court judge that establishes your legal standing based on the following criteria:

  • The request is in the best interest of the child
  • Your closeness to the child up until now
  • The history of your relationship with your grandchild
  • Your relationship to the child's parents or legal guardian
  • Your visiting or gaining partial custody would not interfere with the parent-child relationship
  • Your grandchild is unmarried

We will help determine whether you have the right to visit or request partial custody of your grandchild. Under Title 23, Part V, Chapter 53, SubChapter A of Pennsylvania law, grandparents may petition the court under the following circumstances:

  • Your child, the parent of your grandchild, is deceased, whether or not he or she was still married to the other parent at the time of death.
  • Your grandchild's parents have been separated for six or more months, or have otherwise commenced annulment or divorce proceedings.
  • Your grandchild lived with you for a period of 12 or more months before being removed from your home by his or her parents, whether or not the parents are together, divorced or in the process of divorcing.

One major exception to all of the above is if a person other than a stepparent or grandparent adopts your grandchild. Such adoption automatically terminates any other visitation or custodial arrangements made before it went through.

Back to Top

Call (866) 290-9292 To Schedule a Consultation Today

If you want to retain an active role in your grandchild's life, you need a PA family law attorney who can explain your rights, file all the necessary paperwork and provide advocacy when dealing with parents, other attorneys and the judge. Please call the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. today for a free, no-obligation consultation.

Back to Top

Additional Information

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl R. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation

Pennsylvania Grandparents' Rights Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

© 2021 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting | Accessibility