Home Divorce Enforcing of Divorce Agreements

Enforcing of Divorce Agreements in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

How Do I Enforce a Divorce Agreement in Montgomery County?

man and woman looking angry If some agreement of a divorce is not legally followed there are several things the other spouse can do. The most important and useful thing that you can do is notify the presiding family court about the incident. If the enforcement is still not taking place contacting an experienced divorce lawyer can help you tremendously. Not only can your Montgomery County divorce lawyer ensure that all aspects of the divorce agreement are followed through with but they can also create new stipulations based on the old behavior of the other spouse.

The Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. has years of experience handling divorce cases. Sheryl R. Rentz is a member of the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar Associations as well as the Montgomery County Bar Associations. With our extensive experience and contacts in the legal field we have often handled divorce cases where one spouse is not following through on their legally bound agreements. Contact us at (610) 645-0100 for a free evaluation.

Back to Top

What Happens When the Other Parent Fails to Pay Alimony or Child Support?

If the other party is failing to pay either alimony or child support they can be legally challenged and face significant problems as well. If any spouse fails to comply with any aspect of a divorce agreement in Montgomery County, the problems they face can be significant. Not only can all aspects of the agreement be reinstated and the person made to pay but the entire divorce agreement can be rewritten to reflect the unwillingness of the party to comply.

Back to Top

What Can I Do When the Other Parent Violates a Custody Agreement in Pennsylvania?

If a parent is refusing to comply with the agreement of a custody settlement we can help as well. A full report and investigation must be made into the alleged infringement of custody issues. This may include the parent moving out of the state or country, the parent refusing to let the other visit or take the children or any other custody issue. In Pennsylvania, several requests can be legally filed with the court. If a parent still refuses to comply with the custody issue they face legal problems.

These problems can include jail time, legal fees, the change in the custody order, or the complete awarding of custody to one parent only. Custody rights and enforcing them are serious issues in the courts of Pennsylvania. The enactment of the Federal Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act (UCCJA) ensures that custody orders are on federal records. This act was passed in the hopes of stopping the rash of custody related abductions and parental kidnappings that were taking place.

Back to Top

When Should I Call the Police?

You don’t want to overreact to minor custody violations. Maybe the other parent has gotten delayed and isn’t able to contact you. However, if the other parent is several hours late, has a history of taking the child without permission, or has threatened to, you may want to call the police.

Back to Top

Should I Take Actions Into My Own Hands?

No. We realize child custody and visitation are emotional issues, but taking action on your own may endanger you and your children, and get you into serious legal trouble.

Back to Top

Is There a Higher Authority I Can Go To?

You may want to contact your district attorney and their local child abduction and recovery unit. You may also consider filing kidnapping charges. Since kidnapping is a federal crime, you’ll want to contact your local F.B.I. office.

Back to Top

What If I Fear the Other Parent Will Try To Kidnap the Child?

The U.S. Department of State advises that you take the following precaution if you feel that your ex will try to kidnap your child, including:

  • Keep a list of the names, phone numbers, and addresses of your ex’s friends, relatives, parents, and business partners within the country and abroad.
  • Keep an up to date written description of your children, including hair color, eye color, height, weight, fingerprints, and any distinguishing characteristics.
  • Do the same for your ex and their current partner, and include bank accounts, social security numbers, credit card numbers, passport numbers, driver’s license numbers, vehicle descriptions, and tag numbers.
  • Take a full face picture of your child of children every six months. Do the same for the other parent if possible.

Back to Top

A Reliable Montgomery County Divorce Attorney

Due to the arbitrary and changing nature of divorce proceedings and contracts it may be wise to contact our offices. We can give free consultations regarding any enforcement issue or any divorce related problem that you are having. Since Pennsylvania has arbitrary laws it is never a wise decision to go into a divorce proceeding without legal help. Our law office has years of experience in Pennsylvania and the particular enforcement of agreements laws pertaining to divorce. Contact a family law attorney at the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. today at (610) 645-0100 for a free consultation.

Back to Top

Additional Information

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.
(610) 645-0100