We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
Home Family Law Stepparent Rights

Montgomery County, PA Stepparent Rights Attorney

What Rights Do I Have as a Stepparent in Pennsylvania?

children and parents on bicyclesIf you are married to someone with children from a previous relationship, you may have an opportunity to claim parental rights. If you are a stepparent and going through divorce, you may have a right to see the children you helped raise with your former spouse. The divorce attorneys at the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. will protect your rights and allow the children the benefit of all loving parents to depend on as they grow.

Back to Top


Any person who has acted as a parental figure to a child has a right to file for custody in Montgomery County, PA. This includes grandparents, aunts and uncles as well as a step-parent. Often, the stepfather or stepmother is the only father or mother a child knows. If the biological parent left the child's life early on, the bond between the child and the stepparent is as strong as or stronger than the one with the natural parent. The court recognizes that the nature of the relationship is more important than the biological fact of parenthood.

Back to Top

Adopting a Stepchild and Custody After Divorce in Pennsylvania

You might claim custody of a stepchild by adoption while you are married to the biological and custodial parent. Sometimes this is easy when the other natural parent has relinquished all rights.

Once you petition the court for adoption, the court will notify the biological parent. He or she has the opportunity to contest your petition. If he or she fails to contest your petition, the court may rule in your favor by default. This sometimes happens in cases in which the parent has stopped seeing the child and paying child support, is incarcerated or has passed away. Occasionally, a parent will agree to relinquish rights simply because it is in the best interest of the child.

Other times, the parent will fight to keep his or her parental rights, even if he or she is not fulfilling parental duties. You need an aggressive PA stepparents rights lawyer who will stand up for your rights and help you do what is best for the child or children.

Back to Top

Your Rights Count, Too

You have invested the time, energy, patience and money into raising your stepchildren that any good parent would, natural, adopted or otherwise. Call attorney Sheryl R. Rentz to gain or protect you parental rights.

Back to Top

Additional Information

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl R. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation

Pennsylvania Stepparent Rights Lawyer Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

© 2021 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving all counties in Pennsylvania, including Montgomery, Delaware, and Chester.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting | Accessibility