Home Family Law Parental Alienation

Montgomery County Parental Alienation Lawyer

Dealing with Parental Alienation Syndrome in Montgomery County

As a divorced parent, you probably spend a lot of time wondering what your kids are doing when you aren’t around. You may even worry what the other parent says about you to your children. Your ex may blame you for the divorce and make it appear as if you’re a bad person. Sometimes, these types of negative remarks affect the way your children view you. This harmful psychological phenomenon is known as parent alienation syndrome.

Criticizing a former spouse and putting him or her down in front of the children can be psychologically damaging, both for the child and the parent. Children who grow up in this type of a negative environment can have trouble relating to the other parent or struggle with their own relationships in the future.

At the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, our Montgomery County family law attorneys have represented many clients in Pennsylvania dealing with the issue of parental alienation. We strongly believe that children should not be manipulated into becoming victims of parental disputes during or after a divorce. Contact us today at (610) 645-0100 to discuss your situation.

Back to Top

Spotting the Red Flags of Parental Alienation

Parental alienation can happen when one parent consciously or unconsciously brainwashes a child to have negative thoughts about the other parent. Once a child begins to feel alienated from one parent, it can result in permanent damage that is difficult to repair.

Here are a few warning signs of parental alienation that are important to recognize:

  • Letting the child choose when to visit even though the visitation time is set by a court order.
  • Refusing to be flexible with the visitation schedule.
  • Scheduling important child activities so that the other parent cannot possibly attend.
  • Asking the child to choose one parent over the other.
  • Encouraging the child to be angry at the other parent.
  • Changing the child's name.
  • Having a step-parent adopt the child.
  • The child feels anger towards one parent but cannot provide reasons.
  • Making demands that are contrary to court orders.
  • Breaking promises to the child.
  • Eavesdropping on conversations between the child and the other parent.
  • Tempting the child with activities that interfere with the other parent's visitation.

Back to Top

What Can Be Done About Parental Alienation?

Most parents faced with this problem during a divorce or child custody dispute are stumped by it. They don't know what to do about parental alienation. The fact remains that this problem isn’t going to go away on its own. If you delay taking action, the other parent has more time to make the alienation worse. An experienced Montgomery County attorney will be able to bring a child psychology expert into the courtroom to testify before the judge on your behalf. An expert will have extensive training and experience when it comes to recognizing the symptoms of parental alienation and dealing with the problem.

Remember, there are legal tools to combat parental alienation. When determining child custody and considering your child's best interests, the court will consider a parent's ability to keeps the child’s relationship with the other parent going. The court will recognize that severe parental alienation is not just unhealthy for the child, but poses an emotional and psychological danger to them.

Back to Top

Contact an Experienced Montgomery County Parental Alienation Lawyer

It’s normal for one or both parents to feel unresolved anger towards each other during or after a separation. Divorces and separations are hard and there are some emotional wounds that will never fully heal. That being said, it is important to consider the best interests of your child. If you believe that your court-ordered rights are being violated because your ex is brainwashing your child, don’t hesitate to contact a Montgomery County family law lawyer at the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz at (610) 645-0100 to explore your options.

Back to Top

Additional Information

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.
(610) 645-0100