We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Child Custody Do Grandparents Have the Right to Child Custody in Pennsylvania?

Do Grandparents Have the Right to Child Custody in Pennsylvania?

By Sheryl Rentz on September 15, 2014

Many Pennsylvania grandparents play a significant role in the lives of their grandchildren. Some are primary caretakers and many have regular contact with their grandchildren including long visits and holiday celebrations. During a divorce, the parents will have to negotiate custody rights and their terms may not include rights for the grandparents. It is important in these types of situations for grandparents to learn about their legal rights and options.

The Child Custody Act went into effect in Pennsylvania in 2011. It allows grandparents to file for custody of a grandchild. For a grandparent to request sole custody of a grandchild, he or she must:

  • File for custody instead of the parent;
  • Have a relationship with the child with consent from the parent or through a court order;
  • Be willing to assume responsibility for the child;
  • Prove the child is a dependent or that the child is substantially at risk due to parental abuse or neglect; or
  • Show the child has resided with the grandparent for a least 12 consecutive months

Grandparents may seek partial physical custody or supervised physical custody of a grandchild:

  • If the parent is deceased;
  • The parents are separated for at least six month; or
  • The child has resided for 12 consecutive months with the grandparent

If a grandparent can prove that he or she qualifies for custody, the court will evaluate the request similar to how they review a parent’s request for custody. Factors that will affect custody include the best interests of the child, the grandparent’s willingness to encourage contact with the parents, the need for stability in the child’s education, the grandparent’s ability to maintain a stable environment, and the reasonable desires of the child.

If you are a grandparent who wishes to obtain partial or full custody of your grandchild, make sure you seek legal guidance. You have rights, and you may be able to legally receive custody of your grandchild, but you will need help proving that it is in the best interest of the child. Please contact an experienced Pennsylvania grandparents’ rights attorney who can ensure that your rights are protected every step of the way.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Child Custody

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation