We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
Home Child Custody File Contempt Charges for Child Custody Violations

When to File Contempt Charges for Child Custody Violations in Pennsylvania

Contempt Charges for Child Custody Violations

woman and girlOnce a child custody and visitation agreement is approved by the court, all parties involved are required to adhere to its provisions. Failure to do so is a serious violation of a court order and is punishable by fines and jail time. If someone is denying you your court ordered visitation rights, you will want to speak to an experienced Pennsylvania child custody attorney.

For over two decades, the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. has been successfully representing Pennsylvania parents involved in child custody and visitation disputes. We know how important your relationship with your children is, and want to help you preserve that relationship. For a free case evaluation, call the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. at (866) 290-9292.

Back to Top

What Can Be Done If Your Ex Is Denying You Custody and Visitation Rights?

If you are being denied custody and/or visitation rights, you basically have three options:

  • Call the police: This is recommended if you are unable to make contact with the child or you fear the child is in danger.
  • Enlist an attorney to write a formal letter to the violating parent and inform them that you are about to take legal action against them. This lets them know you are serious and also begins documentation needed to take legal action.
  • File contempt of court charges: This is recommended in cases of serious or ongoing violations of child custody and visitation agreements.

Of these options, a contempt of court charge is usually the most effective.

Back to Top

Can A Parent Legally Deny Custody or Visitation Rights To Another Parent?

Many parents believe they can withhold visitation or custody from another parent if that parent has not paid child support. This is not true. The courts consider visitation and custody rights to be separate from child support. Likewise, one parent cannot withhold child support payments if they are being denied custody or visitation rights.

Back to Top

What is a Contempt of Court Charge in Pennsylvania?

Because child custody and visitation agreements are court approved and legally binding, not abiding by its provision is a violation of a court order - contempt. A charge of contempt allows the court to take such actions as imposing fines, jail time, physically returning the child to the other parent, denying visitation by the violating parent, and order that the defendant pay damages and legal fees of the plaintiff.

Back to Top

How Does One File A Motion For Contempt of Court in Pennsylvania

First, you’ll want to have as much documentation as possible. This could include copies of letters, emails, and police reports, but also phone messages, texts, and relevant days and dates, and descriptions of events.

Next, you’ll want to seek the representation of an experienced Montgomery County family law firm. While legal representation is not required, it is highly advised in such situations. Remember, it is your child’s best interests that are at stake, you will want informed and knowledgeable guidance when you take legal action.

Back to Top

Contact A Montgomery County Lawyer to Discuss Child Custody Violations

For over 20 years, the legal team at the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. has helped Philadelphia area parents maintain their relationships with their children. Call our offices today for a free consultation. Dial (866) 290-9292.

Back to Top

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Law Office of Sheryl R. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Pennsylvania Family Law Attorney Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

© 2019 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving all counties in Pennsylvania, including Montgomery, Delaware, and Chester.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting