Home Child Custody Parenting Plans and Parenting Time

Montgomery County Parenting Time Lawyers

Parenting Plans and Parenting Time in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

When there are children involved in a divorce, one of the first questions that spouses will raise is who gets custody? Sometimes, parents can come to an agreement amicably and decide for their child’s sake where and with whom they will live and how they will set up a fair visitation schedule. However, in many cases, a dispute will arise and parents will be forced to enter into court and fight for custody of the child. When these contested divorces occur, the courts may ask the parents to provide a Parenting Plan that outlines how the parents will raise and care for the child.

A Parenting Plan is a very important legal document when it comes to a custody case, so it is absolutely imperative that you understand what is being asked of you. If you find yourself confused or do not know how to proceed with certain requests, seek the help of a Montgomery County child custody attorney at the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. We are highly experienced in dealing with child custody cases and can answer any questions you may have about what to include in a Parenting Plan.

Back to Top

What Do I Include in a Parenting Plan?

In the state of Pennsylvania, there is a particular form that parents will be asked to fill out when presenting a Parenting Plan to the court. This form is very detailed and requires each parent to be as specific as possible when explaining what their plans are for their child. Courts will review these documents carefully before rendering any decision.

A Parenting Plan will want to know about what care you have planned for the child such as diet, religion, medical care, school, sports, and any other additional information that is pertinent to the child’s wellbeing. Amongst these things, you will be asked to explain the legal custody agreement regarding who is responsible for making choices about these important matters: is it a joint effort between both parents, or is it left to either the plaintiff or the defendant to solely decide?

Additionally, the parenting plan will outline the physical custody agreement pertaining to the child’s living situation, what days and times the child will be with each parent, how they will be dropped off and picked up, and what the arrangement will be for holidays.

Finally, the parenting plan should explain what the process will be for any temporary changes requested to the parenting schedule. This means if one parent needs to rearrange the schedule for any reason, how will the proposed changes be made: phone, email, letter, in person? How far in advance does the requested changes need to be made, and if there are any issues with such requests, what is the method for resolving them?

Back to Top

What Is Parenting Time?

Parenting Time is basically how much time the child will be spending with each parent. This is included in the section of the Parenting Plan about visitation scheduling. The parenting time is affected by the type of custody agreement set forth between both parents. If it is joint physical custody, then the child will be given significantly equal amounts of time with each parent. Sole physical custody would be more limited to the child residing with one custodial parent for the majority of the time and having only scheduled visits with the non-custodial parent.

Parenting Time takes into account summer breaks, vacations, holidays, and special occasions or activities the child participates in where one or both parents would likely be present. The court reserves the right to accept, reject, or modify this parenting time if it is not in the best interest of the child.

Back to Top

Contact a Montgomery County Child Custody Attorney Today

When drafting a parenting plan or a parenting time schedule, it is important to understand the amount of detail and specificity that the courts will require from you. Sometimes it can be both overwhelming and confusing how to answer these particular questions, so having an experienced attorney there to assist you is essential. Contact a Montgomery County child custody lawyer from the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. today and find out how we can help you with these forms and any requests pertinent to the child custody agreement between you and your former spouse. Give us a call at (610) 645-0100.

Back to Top

Additional Information

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.
(610) 645-0100