We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Spousal Support What are Maintenance Payments in Pennsylvania and Who Receives Them?

What are Maintenance Payments in Pennsylvania and Who Receives Them?

By Sheryl Rentz on May 5, 2011

Spousal maintenance payments, also known as alimony, are payments that a spouse who made most or all of the couple’s income makes to the other spouse, who made little or none of the couple’s income. Temporary maintenance payments are intended to help a party who has little education or job prospects live until they can complete an education or find a job.

Not all divorces in Pennsylvania will include maintenance payments. In cases where both parties are employed or have a good education, the court may not order maintenance payments, instead allowing each party to go on living on their own wages.

Pennsylvania is the only state in the U.S. that utilizes mandatory guidelines to determine spousal support. The goal of the guidelines is to promote results that are reliable and consistent, which encourages settlement. These guidelines are different from the guidelines of other states in that they include a formula for spousal support, which other states do not.

In Pennsylvania, when spousal support is calculated, consideration is given to whether one party has any previous obligations in child support or spousal support of a previous spouse or other children. If there are no previous children and no prior obligations to child support, the spousal support will be 40 percent of the difference between the obligor’s net monthly income and the recipient’s net monthly income. If there are minor children involved, then the income difference is reduced by the amount of child support, with that result multiplied by 30 percent to determine spousal support. The length of the marriage is also taken into consideration, as is the amount of time an obligor spends with the children.

If you are considering divorce in Pennsylvania, please don’t hesitate to contact the highly trained and experienced Philadelphia spousal support lawyers at The Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. We can help you ensure an equitable separation that meets your needs and allows you to move forward with your life. If you have questions about spousal support in Pennsylvania or other divorce-related issues, call 610-645-0100 today.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Spousal Support

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation