We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Spousal Support Tips for Maintaining Financial Security During a Pennsylvania Divorce

Tips for Maintaining Financial Security During a Pennsylvania Divorce

By Sheryl Rentz on June 7, 2013

There are a wide range of hurdles to overcome when pursuing a divorce. From custody battles and asset division to overcoming emotional upheaval, it can be easy to forget about the importance of maintaining financial security. Many Pennsylvania divorce financial and tax issue attorneys understand that negotiating a fair and just settlement agreement is one of the biggest steps toward ensuring a stable future after your divorce is finalized.

The following steps can help you ensure financial security throughout the divorce process:

  • Use a different attorney than your spouse – You may think using one attorney will help cut down on the cost, but you will need someone who is focused solely on protecting your interests.
  • Remove your name from your spouse’s debt – Before the divorce is finalized, remove your name from any joint accounts on which your spouse has accrued debt. You don’t want to be liable for debt your former spouse assumed after you have divorced, especially if your ex refuses to pay.
  • Don’t agree to a termination date for spousal support – Make sure that your divorce decree requires that any changes to spousal support must be negotiated first. After your divorce, you may discover that you need to make modifications to the amount of money you receive or pay. If you sign off on a termination date, you may end up forfeiting that option.
  • Don’t fight for everything if you can’t afford it – You may have won the house, vehicles, vacation spots, and other expenses, but after the divorce you might not be able to afford to keep them. Create a post-divorce budget and let certain assets go that you can live without.
  • Understand your divorce decree before signing – You may want to get the process over with, but make sure you understand every aspect of what you are agreeing to with your divorce decree. Discuss any questions or doubts with your attorney until you feel confident about your settlement.

Contact The Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. if you are considering a divorce to receive professional, compassionate legal representation. Our team has experience negotiating the complicated laws surrounding divorce and spousal support, and will do everything possible to help ensure that you obtain the settlement you deserve. Call us at (866) 290-9292 to discuss your options.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Spousal Support

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation