We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Divorce Financial Issues Financial Aid after Divorce

Financial Aid after Divorce

By Sheryl Rentz on February 7, 2013

After divorce, children are impacted in emotional and financial ways just as divorced spouses are. Child support for young children soon evolves into the issue of putting young adults through college. In cases in which the parents are separated or are divorced, it is important to know that it is the custodial parent’s responsibility to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA online document requests financial information like that found on tax returns for the purpose of establishing the amount of financial aid a student qualifies for.

Family law attorneys like the Pennsylvania attorney Sheryl R. Rentz know that clients living through a divorce are facing one of the most emotionally devastating and financially uncertain periods of their lives.

According to section 475(f) (1) of the Higher Education Act of 1965, the following rules apply when completing the FAFSA:

  • Custodial Parent refers to the parent you spent the most time living with in the past 12 month period ending on the date of the application. Don’t think of it in terms of calendar year.
  • The custodial parent for FAFSA purposes is not necessarily the same parent who has legal custody.
  • If you lived part of that 12-month period with each parent, the parent who gave you the most financial support completes the FAFSA. This should be the parent who claimed you as a dependent on his or her income tax return.
  • If you were provided with no financial support from either parent within the last12 months, you are to use the most recent calendar year when you were supported by a parent.
  • Alimony or child support money must be included on the FAFSA.

Pennsylvania family law attorney, Sheryl R. Rentz, has been helping families through the financial difficulties that arise after a divorce for the past 20 years. She is committed to delivering supportive advice to all her clients. Please call (866) 290-9292 to let us guide you through the complications of divorce.

Related Articles:

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation