We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Divorce Tips for Using Social Media During Your Divorce

Tips for Using Social Media During Your Divorce

By Sheryl Rentz on October 13, 2015

Social media can be a great tool to help connect people. It can also affect your life in ways you probably didn’t even think about until your divorce. Statistics show that 80 percent of divorce lawyers have used evidence from social media sites in divorce cases. You should probably look at social media use during divorces cases like you’re being given your Miranda rights every time you log onto social media: anything you post can and probably will be used against you in a court of law.

Most family law lawyers would probably suggest you “unfriend” your ex on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. This is because lawyers will investigate what you do online. They’ll look into everything and anything you post on social media. Remember: anything posted can be printed, and anything printed can be presented later. ALWAYS think twice before posting something online that could reflect poorly on you during divorce proceedings.

Here are a few tips for how to stay online when you’re going through a divorce:

  • Be careful about what you post. A mean comment about your ex or a picture out with friends on Saturday night isn’t a harmless post. Your ex’s lawyer will use anything they can to damage your character. Always remember that anything posted on social media can be taken out of context.
  • Don’t vent. Writing any negative comments about your ex only increases hard feelings and lessens how effective a mediation or divorce case can be. Being mean about your ex can only lead to a tougher fight with them.
  • Beware mutual friends. You and your spouse probably have many social media friends in common. This means any information you share could find its way to your ex, even if you’ve unfriended or unfollowed them.
  • Don’t mention your children. Keep your kids out of your divorce case and off your social media. Posting about kids can be taken by a lawyer and twisted around any number of ways. An everyday complaint can make you look like a bad parent.
  • Assume everything you do online will be found. Posts can be found by lawyers, your ex, their friends and family, or anyone with an internet connection. Negative posts will be used against you.

Think before you post. And remember the internet is forever. If you have any questions about social media and divorce, please contact the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. at (866) 290-9292.


Related Articles:

Posted in: Divorce

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation