Five Mistakes We Make During Divorce
Can divorce be complicated and stressful? Absolutely. During divorce we no longer use our brains; we use our hearts. Pain, sadness, anger—every emotion seems to overpower us during divorce.
Courtesy of an article in The Huffington Post, Dr. Jeff Gardere, relationship expert, says well-intentioned partners can make serious mistakes during the process of divorce. Montgomery County, Pennsylvania family law attorney Sheryl R. Rentz wants you to know that you cannot allow your emotions to control your thinking. There are serious complex issues to be handled before you can move on with your life.
According to Dr. Gardere, the five worst mistakes partners make during divorce include the following:
- Don’t be reluctant to end the marriage. Once you have made every attempt to save your marriage, and still your spouse refuses to participate in efforts like marriage counseling, then let it go. Don’t continue your efforts to save your marriage alone.
- Don’t put the children in the middle. Having the world on your side during divorce would be nice, but it is a mistake to draw the children into the process by berating your spouse and attempting to win your children over to your side.
- Don’t attempt to quickly replace one relationship with another. You are going through too many emotions to make decisions regarding a new relationship. Take your time.
- Don’t give in to withdrawal pains and make repeated calls, send E-mails, text, or Facebook message your spouse. He or she could view this as harassment.
- Don’t tell yourself you can get through a divorce without help. Open yourself up to friends and professionals who can help you make it through divorce.
In Pennsylvania the laws surrounding divorce are complex. Dissolutions of partnerships and divorce have serious financial and possible custodial implications. Contact the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, a qualified, licensed divorce law attorney. She can help you make it through a difficult time in your life. Call us at (610) 645-0100. Call us—we will listen.
We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.