We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Child Visitation Understanding Pennsylvania Grandparent Visitation Rights

Understanding Pennsylvania Grandparent Visitation Rights

By Sheryl Rentz on August 19, 2009

Very often when a family experiences a divorce, grandparents can undergo similar challenges that parents go through due to close relationships with grandchildren or the desire to establish stronger bonds. According to the website divorcesupport.com, child visitation in Pennsylvania may be granted to a grandparent under the following circumstances:

  • at least one of the child’s parents is deceased
  • the parents’ marriage is dissolved
  • the parents have been separated for six months or more
  • the child has resided with the grandparent(s) for twelve months or more and is consequently removed from the home by his parents.

Under Title 23, Section 5311, the court must find that the visitation of a grandparent is in the best interest of the child and will not interfere with the parent-child relationship. Visitation rights terminate when adoption occurs, unless the child happens to be adopted by either a stepparent or grandparent. As a grandparent, you can request for visitation before a judge in which many determining factors will be considered, including: your closeness to the child, your relationship with the child’s parents/guardians, and your past relationship with the child.

Many legal complications can interfere with a grandparent’s desired visitation rights, or even those of a parent, depending on the matters surrounding a separation or divorce. It is important to remember that the main focus in any visitation or child custody dispute is what is best for the child or children involved in terms of well-being, safety, healthy development, proper care, and, often times neglected, their happiness.

If you want to ensure that you have the legal right to visit with your child or if you are a grandparent wishing to do so, please contact PA grandparents’ rights attorney Sheryl R. Rentz for a free consultation. The Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz has years of experience assisting parents and relatives in Pennsylvania family court issues. Call 610-645-0100 today!

Related Articles:

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation