We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Child Support Sherri Shepherd Ordered To Pay Child Support

Sherri Shepherd Ordered To Pay Child Support

By Sheryl Rentz on December 15, 2015

Sherri Shepherd, former co-host of the popular daytime talk show The View has been ordered to pay child support to a child that she and her former husband had through surrogacy.

According to news reports, the courts have ordered Shepherd to pay child support despite the fact that the child is not biologically hers and she is divorced from her ex-husband Lamar Sally, who is the child’s biological father. The child was conceived using Sally’s sperm, but is Shepherd’s son by law since she was married to Sally at the time and had agreed to raise the child.

But, the marriage between Shepherd and Sally fell apart when the surrogate mother was mid-term. Sally filed for separation and Shepherd filed for divorce. Sally sued for sole custody, alimony, and child support.

Shepherd told People magazine that she did not want the child and only went along with the surrogacy to prevent losing her husband. She was not at the child’s birth, attempted to keep her name off the birth certificate, and did not take responsibility for support of the child.

In April, the Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas ruled that Shepherd must pay support. In November of 2015, the Pennsylvania Superior Court ruled that Shepherd’s name must go on the child’s birth certificate. Shepherd has been ordered to pay alimony and child support.

This is a unique case in which the mother shares no DNA with the child, was not at the birth, is not with the birth father, and yet must pay alimony and child support. Shepherd allegedly plans on filing an appeal but will make payments in the meantime as required by the court.

Custody battles are never easy. Whatever the circumstances of your divorce, it is crucial that you have a family law attorney by your side to protect your best interests. Do not hesitate to call a Pennsylvania family law attorney who will fight for your rights every step of the way.

The Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, P.C. can help. Contact us at (866) 290-9292.



Related Articles:

Posted in: Child Support

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation