We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Child Support Mississippi Mix Up Had Louisiana Man Paying Child Support for Someone Else’s Children

Mississippi Mix Up Had Louisiana Man Paying Child Support for Someone Else’s Children

By Sheryl Rentz on August 4, 2010

When children are involved, divorce and child support go hand-in-hand. In the majority of cases, divorcing parents know that child support payments will be made; how much those payments will be worth; and how the transaction will take place – whether through wage garnishment or otherwise. However, according to a WAFB.com article, a Baton Rouge man recently discovered that his wages have been garnished for years for a pair of children whom he doesn’t know and who belong to a woman that he never met.

Reportedly, the wage garnishing had always confused the man, but he figured that the reduction being made to his check was regarding taxes or insurance or some other necessary cost. Labeled as “Discretionary Allotment” on his check, the man never questioned the charge while serving 12 years in the United States Navy. However, after taking on a job at Wal-Mart, the man noticed that the reduction reappeared on his check, but this time labeled as “Family Support, Child Support” instead of the description used previously. The Louisiana resident contacted the Division of Child Support Enforcement of the Mississippi Department of Human Services, and the matter is currently being investigated in order to correct the error. Unfortunately, according to the Department of Human Services, mistakes like this do happen every once in a while, particularly when the mother filing the paperwork only knows that father-in-question’s name, and not his social security number.

At the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, our experienced Pennsylvania child support lawyers offer assistance in all areas of family law, including matters surrounding child support. For more information about how we can assist you, call us today at 610-645-0100 for a free consultation.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Child Support

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation