We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Child Custody Pennsylvania Mother Defies Custody Order and Goes to Jail

Pennsylvania Mother Defies Custody Order and Goes to Jail

By Sheryl Rentz on March 16, 2010

A timeonline.com article reports that a former Beaver County mother was sent to jail for up to six months for violating court orders when she took her son to Turkey without legal permission and then did not return until four years later. The woman had ignored multiple court orders demanding that she return her 11-year-old son to Beaver County.

When the couple initially separated in 2006, the mother was granted primary custody and the father was given visitation rights. Later that year, the mother took their son to Turkey for a vacation but did not return, despite a court order that stipulated they had to be back by the end of summer.

Subsequently, courts in both Pennsylvania and Turkey ruled that she was in violation of the custody order and was required to return to Beaver County with her son. She and the boy returned in late January 2010 so that she could attend a contempt hearing. The judge granted the father temporary primary custody and the mother was sentenced to jail.

It is not uncommon for parents to want sole custody of a child after a separation. There are many reasons a parent might be compelled to keep a child away from the other parent. If domestic violence or child abuse is a factor, there are legal avenues to pursue to protect the child. Whatever the case, spiriting a child out of state or out of the country only complicates the matter, and as in this case, may work against the parent who is trying to maintain full custody.

While all custody disputes have a measure of complexity, cross-state and international cases are particularly difficult. The experienced Philadelphia child custody lawyers at Sheryl R. Rentz are equipped to defend your rights as a custodial parent and to safeguard the well-being of your child. Please call the Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz for a free and confidential evaluation.


Related Articles:

Posted in: Child Custody

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation