We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Child Custody Pennsylvania Child Custody Issues Can Be Complex For Same-Sex Couples

Pennsylvania Child Custody Issues Can Be Complex For Same-Sex Couples

By Sheryl Rentz on January 29, 2009

Same sex custody cases have been rare in Pennsylvania but they do occasionally come up from time to time. This article in the Sharon Herald talks about the one such case that has garnered public attention in Mercer County. This case involves Lisa Lewis, a non-biological parent who is seeking custody of a child she helped raise with her same-sex partner.

The article quotes former longtime Common Pleas Judge Michael J. Wherry, who says he has never had a same-sex custody case, but has dealt with non-biological parents like Lewis who seek an “in loco parentis” status for visitation and custody reasons. The term “in loco parentis” is Latin for “in the place of a parent” or “instead of a parent” and refers to the legal responsibility of a person or organization to take on some of the functions and responsibilities of a parent. A same sex custody case would be handled the same way as when a non-biological parent would seek an “in loco parentis” status. If it is in the best interest of the child, the parent will end up getting some measure of custody but they will need the help of a skilled child custody lawyer.

The Lewis case has proven to be an even more challenging case than anticipated. According to the article, five out of 100 child custody cases may go longer than six months. But most are settled before or after just one custody hearing. But this case has gone longer because of mandatory limits on how long a custody case can proceed. The hearings have reportedly been pushed back further than the 180-day maximum under Pennsylvania law, causing Lewis to re-file her case twice. And each time, she has had to re-establish her “in loco parentis” standing.

Divorce and child custody issues are complicated even when it involves straight couples who are the biological parents. This gets even more complicated when it involves same-sex couples with an adopted child or when one of the same-sex partners is the child’s biological parent and the other is helping raise the child. It takes an experienced Pennsylvania child custody attorney to guide you through the legal process and protect your rights. If you are facing divorce or child custody issues, please call Philadelphia child custody lawyer Sheryl R. Rentz at 610-645-0100 for a free consultation and case evaluation.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Child Custody

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation