blog home Child Support Dennis Rodman Back in Court, Allegedly Owes More Than $800,000 in Child Support

Dennis Rodman Back in Court, Allegedly Owes More Than $800,000 in Child Support

By Sheryl Rentz on April 4, 2012

Former NBA basketball star Dennis Rodman is again in legal trouble for purportedly owing his ex-wife $860,000 in child and spousal support, according to a report by the Associated Press. The 50-year-old was found in contempt of court in November for failure to pay child support for his two children, and he appeared in an Orange County court recently for sentencing but the hearing was postponed until May 29. The former NBA star may face up to 20 days in jail unless he pays the amount that his ex-wife contends he owes.

Rodman’s attorney asserts that her client owes far less than $860,000 and will provide evidence of his payments to the family court judge. She also aims to have his contempt of court finding overturned. His attorney also claims Rodman is “broke” and is barely able to keep up with his living expenses, let alone the $5,000 in child support he pays for a son from another relationship and the $4,500 a month in spousal and child support he is supposed to pay to his ex-wife in this case.

This is unfortunately not the first time the former NBA star has found himself in legal trouble, previously being in a California court for owing the state a large amount of back taxes for 2002 to 2003. Court documents show Rodman still owes more than $350,000 in back taxes, though that figure is disputed by his current counsel. Also, in 2008 Rodman pled guilty to spousal misdemeanor for striking his former girlfriend and was ordered to undergo counseling and perform physical labor.

Following a divorce, child support can be an important source of income for the former spouse to take care of his or her family. When the party ordered to pay does not fulfill his or her obligation, an individual has the right to pursue legal action. Sheryl R. Rentz, a child support attorney in Pennsylvania, has the experience and knowledge to help you get the child support that is rightfully owed to you. To discuss your specific case, please call (610) 645-0100.

Related Articles:

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.
(610) 645-0100