We Will Guide you

We will guide you step-by-step
through this difficult process.

Free Initial Consultation (866) 290-9292
blog home Child Support Allegheny County Offers Amnesty to Parents Owing Back Child Support

Allegheny County Offers Amnesty to Parents Owing Back Child Support

By Sheryl Rentz on August 24, 2011

PittsburghLive.com reports that Allegheny County is offering parents owing back child support that have warrants out for their arrest a chance at amnesty. It is the second time in four years that the county has taken such action.

According to the article, parents that have active bench warrants relating to child support cases will be able to appear in court to address the problem without being afraid they could be arrested or incarcerated. “We’re just trying to collect child support. We really don’t have an interest in putting people in jail. We want to get people on the right track,” said the deputy court administrator for the adult section of family division. Approximately 1,900 letters were sent to the last known addresses of parents that owe child support notifying them of the program. For the past four months, deputies from the sheriff’s department have also been leaving blue cards at the last known addresses of people owing back child support. The sheriff has said people have been coming forward to resolve their problems.

In 2007, when the family court first offered an amnesty program, 756 defendants came to resolve issues relating to child support. About $134,000 in back child support was collected by court officials.

To learn whether you are eligible for this program, call 412-350-5600.

During the divorce process, some of the most challenged and difficult issues tend to involve child support. Unfortunately, one parent often ends up not making their child support payments, or a parent may be required to pay child support even though they shouldn’t be. Regardless of what county you reside in, if you are having difficulty with issues relating to child support, you may find it beneficial to consult with a Pennsylvania child support attorney to learn more about the legal options available to you, based upon the specifics of your circumstances.

At The Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz, our lawyers have experience in dealing with the complexities of divorce laws in Pennsylvania. We help families recover the child support to which they are legally entitled, assist couples needing to implement a child support contract, and help parents that have not paid child support in a while. No matter your situation, we understand your problems are special and unique. Call our law offices at 610-645-0100. We will listen.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Child Support

We know your problems are unique & special.
Call us, we will listen.

Contact Us

Our team is ready to help. Start off your case with a no-cost consultation by calling our office today at (866) 290-9292 or by completing the following form.

Phone (optional):

Law Office of Sheryl L. Rentz

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003

Phone: (610) 645-0100
Toll-free: (866) 290-9292
Fax: (610) 645-0111

Phone (optional):

Montgomery County Divorce Attorney Disclaimer: The divorce, visitation, child support, child custody, spousal support, or other family law legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Pennsylvania.

© 2022 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving Chester County, Montgomery County, & all counties in Pennsylvania.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by: SLS Consulting


Read Our Important Announcement About COVID-19

Dear valued clients, we are opening Monday, June 8th, but everyone must wear masks. For the safety of the community, we continue to encourage meetings either over the phone or by Zoom.

Schedule My Consultation