Philadelphia Divorce Lawyers

When to File Contempt Charges for Child Custody Violations in Pennsylvania

Contempt Charges for Child Custody Violations

Once a court in Pennsylvania finalizes a child custody agreement, each parent is expected to obey the terms or face consequences, regardless of whether the agreement is based on the court's wishes or the parents'. If one parent violates the terms, he or she may be subject to a variety of punishments including attending parenting classes, fines, jail time, and even losing custody altogether.

Violation of child custody agreements can be particularly difficult because it can strain the relationship that a child has with each parent. The court will determine custody or visitation agreements based on what is best for the child, and therefore, violations are taken very seriously. If one parent disobeys the agreement, the other parent may file contempt charges in order to have the court enforce the terms or hold the non-complying parent in contempt of court.

Common violations of Pennsylvania custody orders include:

Interfering with Communication – In Pennsylvania, contact does not necessarily have to be cut off completely between the parent and child for it to be considered a violation. If one parent blocks phone calls, intercepts e-mails, or otherwise disrupts the parent-child relationship with his or her ex-spouse, they can be held in contempt.

Preventing Visitation – Parents are not allowed to prevent the other from visiting with his or her child by scheduling appointments or extracurricular activities during the agreed upon visitation times. The withholding parent may be punished for doing so by forfeiting his or her own time with the child in order for the other parent to make up time with the child.

Denying Visitation for Not Paying Child Support – Custody and child support are considered separate issues in Pennsylvania courts. If one parent fails to make a child support payment, the parent is still entitled to his or her visitation or custody rights. When a parent prevents children from spending time with the other parent for the sake of receiving payment, the withholding parent may be held in contempt of court.

Taking the Child without Alerting the Other Parent - If the other parent or a family member takes a child without permission, it can be counted as kidnapping, especially if the child is taken across state lines or out of the U.S.

Call The Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz Today

Custody issues are often fraught with high-emotions. Learn how you can protect your rights as a parent by contacting the Montgomery County family law attorney Sheryl R. Rentz. If your former spouse is violating a child custody order, call (866) 290-9292 to discuss your situation with an experienced attorney who can help you move forward with a legal claim in court.

326 W Lancaster Ave, Suite 100
Ardmore, Pennsylvania 19003
toll free phone: (866) 290-9292
Facsimile (fax): (610) 645-0111

Pennsylvania Family Law Attorney Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact an attorney at our law firm office. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

© 2016 Law Offices of Sheryl R. Rentz. Serving all counties in Pennsylvania, including Montgomery, Delaware, and Chester.

Website Design, SEO and Legal Internet Marketing by SLS ConsultingSLS Consulting